Best Of Life And Memories

Friday, June 02, 2006

Chariots Of Fire


Chariots of Fire is a British film released in 1981. Written by Colin Welland and directed by Hugh Hudson; it is based on the true story of British athletes preparing for and competing in the 1924 Summer Olympics. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won four, including Best Picture.

The title is taken from William Blake's poem "The New Jerusalem", Hubert Parry's setting of which is played during the film:

Bring me my bow of burning gold!

Bring me my Arrows of Desire!

Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!

Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

The movie is based on the true story of two British athletes competing in the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris. Englishman Harold Abrahams (Ben Cross), who is Jewish, overcomes anti-Semitism and class prejudice in order to compete against the "Flying Scotsman", Eric Liddell (Ian Charleson), in the 100 metre race. However, Liddell drops out of the event because his Christian convictions prevent him from running on a Sunday. Liddell is allowed to compete in the 400 metre race instead. The story compares the similar athletic experiences of Abrahams and Liddell while portraying their vastly different characters and reactions to adversity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home